Tuesday 10 September 2013

Representation of Me

People are represented by certain stereotypes. Using UK Tribes I have identified many groups including "Styles" and "Tumblr kids" that I fall under.

Stylers

Music, status and style – Stylers are living for the good life!



Stylers are united by a love for partying and looking good. They've also a fairly discerning bunch, into the finer things in life and less brash than, say, Blingers. Sharing an urban upbringing, they’re a diverse bunch, ranging from GCSE students to young professionals.

The ‘housification’ of r’n’b has really galvanised the emergence of the Stylers – now you can be both US cool and Ibiza hedonist in the one hit – and urban commercial dance music is the sound of the tribe. Think Drake, Rihanna, Rita Ora and Chris Brown, as well as artists like Maverick Sabre and Wiley.
A small subsection of the Stylers will be seeking out niche underground sounds, but most are listening to what’s readily available – artists championed by trusted sources, friends and stations like Radio 1Xtra.

Favourite Brands:

Radio 1 Xtra
Nike 
YouTube
River Island
Twitter

I said that I would be categorised in this 'tribe' because I love listening to music and have a keen interest in fashion and style. My favourite Bands/Artists are:









Arctic Monkeys
Kendrick Lamar
Chris Brown
Nicki Minaj 
Two Door Cinema Club
A$AP Rocky
Beyonce
Frank Ocean
McFly

I feel that I have a varied taste in music, I love R'n'B but also love bands like the Arctic Monkeys.

The next tribe I fall into is 'Tumblr Kids'

Strike a pose, Tumblr Kids are opening their worlds for all to see

Tumblr Kids are an entry-level Leading Edge Tribe with lots of members under 16, and a female-bias. As the name suggests, Tumblr is at the heart of this Tribe. Like a digital scrapbook, it’s used to visually document their lives – every minute of the day

There are plenty who use the platform but for whom it’s just a means to an end, but among the Tumblr Kids it’s Tumblr glory that’s more important than actually being an expert on anything. Rather than creating content, it’s all about re-blogging images that show a window into their world – fashion icons, cult films, lyrics, and pets.The most respected members of the Tribe are the ‘Tumblr Famous,’ style conscious teenagers adored by thousands of 
followers, eliciting levels of hysteria once reserved for only A-list celebs.

I am in this 'tribe' because I own a Tumblr account and seem to spend most of my time on there! I like it because its a way to share pictures and to see other peoples. 

Trendies



Chasing the beautiful dream and the next big thing, for Trendies image means everything…
Trendies are a burgeoning Tribe with no signs of abating – and they are getting younger by the day. The high street has exploded with brands like Urban Outfitters and Topshop offering off-the-peg Hipster-influenced styles, so channeling your inner Cara Delevingne or Harry Styles has never been so easy.
Trendies are motivated by the current trends du jour, looking to street style, celebrities and authoritative media brands for inspiration on music and fashion – in short, the latest in cool. It’s about tapping into what’s hot just before it hits the mainstream and picking it up online or on the high street, with key pieces nabbed from vintage, charity shops, or the ultimate Trendie pilgrimage – shopping on Brick Lane in London.

Topshop
Urban Outfitters 
Asos Marketplace

The websites above are just a couple of websites I shop at, all selling the "street style" type clothing to create the look of a 'trendie.' 

Trendies tend to try and create their own style using high street brands, mixing and matching different brands to create a unique look just for them.


The Tribes listed above are just a handful of the tribes I'm categorized in. I also looked at others such as sports junkies as I am a competitive athlete. This category shows key words such as 'determined' and 'dedicated.' As I am a competitive swimmer I have to train up to 14 hours a week meaning I have to be disciplined and dedicated in order to achieve the pinnacle of my sport. The favorite brands for this group include, Nike, Puma and ITV.


I found looking into my own representation interesting because I often feel like people misjudge the type of person I am and it shows how much as a young adult I am stereotyped into different groups depending on my interests, taste  in music and sense of style.



1 comment:

  1. A well explained self representation. Good work Millie.

    ReplyDelete